Folliculitis scars is an extremely common benign skin issue which appears on the skin of individuals where the pinpoint red bumps on the skin is characterized by the presence of one hair follicle in each one of it, usually with a spec of pus on the top of it. While folliculitis is known to affect people across all the age groups, it can be seen in babies as well as in the senior citizens and when you least expect it.
This skin issue does not spare any part of the body in occurrence and can be found widespread in the scalp region, face, legs, buttocks and also on the chest region. Certain people are more prone to develop this disorder such as those with compromised immunity disorders while suffering from issues such as hepatitis, cancer, chronic illnesses, HIV or AIDS, and people who consume immune suppressant drugs, take chemotherapy or affected with diabetes. You would be surprised to note that the acne that the teenagers suffer in their growing years known clinically as acne vulgaris is a kind of folliculitis as well.
The good thing about this skin disorder lies in the fact that it is mostly curable and at times clears off at its own sweet time or sometimes after a prolonged maintenance therapy in some cases. It is important to practice a good skin hygiene and shaving etiquette to take care of the issue of folliculitis to prop up.
The treatment and home remedies associated with folliculitis scars
While this noncontagious skin disorder is easily treatable given that the diagnosis is done in a proper manner and the root cause known, the treatments are dependent on the cause of it at most times. There are a number of home remedies which an individual can opt for to get rid of the issue once and for all.
12 Ways to Get Rid of Folliculitis Scars
1. Increase in the fluid intake for Folliculitis
The skin issue called folliculitis scars can be easily treatable with the use of fluids and in case one is suffering from this woe, he or she should consume at last 7 to 8 ounces of water each day. This is due to the fact that water is considered to be the best agent to flush out toxic elements from the human body in the longer run. Water is also known to stimulate the immunity in the human body and prevent any further infection and even prohibits their growth in the future. Some of the other liquids that one can consume other than water to treat this concern are:
- Soups- These help in treating the woe of folliculitis scars.
- Spinach juice- Known to be an effective agent to reduce the rashes and pimples caused during folliculitis, this healthy veggie when consumed as juice works wonders.
- Lemon juice- Another great remedy to reduce the concern of folliculitis is lemon juice which in turn is known to reduce the rashes formed due to it.
2. Aloe Vera for Folliculitis
Aloe Vera is a great natural remedy which can treat an array of skin and hair woes and the fact is no different in treating the issue of folliculitis scars. This is due to the fact that aloe vera gel, when applied on the skin affected with folliculitis, helps in reducing the swelling and the redness and gets total freedom off the itchiness and the burning sensation associated with this skin woe. You can use aloe vera in the following ways:
- Aloe vera leaf can be taken and fresh juice can be extracted to be applied directly on the skin rashes and the pores. Once applied the gel need to be there for at least 15 minutes before rinsing off with cold water. The continuous application is known to heal the concern faster.
- Consuming aloe vera juice or gel is also considered to have great effects.
3. Vinegar for Folliculitis
Vinegar is another natural ingredient which is considered a great remedy to treat the issue of folliculitis scars where vinegar can effectively reduce the occurrence of the rashes associated with it. To get the vinegar work best on the skin, there are a few ways to apply it on the affected region which are:
- The first method is easy where a thin vinegar mixture can be formulated and applied directly onto the skin surface. The mixture is usually made up of 3 to 4 drops of white vinegar in a cup full of lukewarm water and then the same can be applied to the skin via the use of cotton balls soaked in the mix. Keep the same for 15-20 minutes and repeat this thrice a day for best results. This remedy will not only reduce redness but also help in reducing skin inflammation.
- The next step is to apply an oatmeal lotion just after the vinegar treatment to see the effect it has on the skin.
4. The Essential Oil treatment for Folliculitis
Essential oils found naturally in nature are by far one of the greatest home remedies to treat the skin concern of folliculitis scars. This is due to the fact that the essential oils are laden with antiseptic and antibacterial properties which are indeed helpful in healing the rashes better and faster. One of such application and use of essential oil is given below.
- To create an effective mix, one has to take a few drops of essential oil such as lavender oil and mix the same with bergamot and thyme oil in an equal quantity of water and blend the same well. Applying the mix on the affected region helps in reducing the damage and the breakage of the skin which in turn is the cause of the pimples and the bumps. This application on a regular basis is known to seek relief from the disorder in just a week’s time if not less.
5. Garlic for Folliculitis
The anti- inflammatory and the anti- bacterial properties of garlic is perhaps the reason behind it being greatly effective in reducing and treating the skin concern of folliculitis scars. Garlic is known to help reduce the occurrences of rashes associated with folliculitis and also helps heal the condition within 7 days at the maximum. Garlic is more so effective in taking care of this issue due to the fact that it is loaded with compounds known as ajoene and allicin which are effective in the destruction of fungal and bacterial growth on the skin surface.
- Consume raw garlic cloves as it internally works to reduce inflammation.
- Garlic consumption in the diet on a regular basis can help to eliminate the disease once and for all.
6. Neem for Folliculitis
Due to the therapeutic and healing properties of neem, people have relied on it to cure several health issues including the skin problems. This home remedy is by far the best as well as the cheapest of the remedies to eradicate the impact of folliculitis scars in the long run. Since time immemorial, Neem has been great in treating any kind of skin issues and is also known to work well in reducing any type of fungal and bacterial infections. Some of the ways in which neem can be incorporated to seek solace from folliculitis are given below.
- Neem leaves can be taken to extract the juice out of them and applied directly to the affected region to see the effects.
- The second way is to boil water with neem leaves in it and then allowing the water to cool down before applying the same onto the affected regions. This application will, in turn, help the pus to dry off and completely get rid of the rashes over a few days of regular and repeated applications.
7. Coconut oil treatments for Folliculitis
Coconut oil has far greater benefits than just being a great oil to cook food in and to get great luscious manes. Coconut oil is laden with a number of essential and important compounds which are great for the skin including the likes of lauric acids, capric acids and fatty acids which are later converted into monolaurin and monocaprin which are skin protectors. Due to the great anti-bacterial properties exhibited by the above ingredients present in coconuts, they can greatly impact in eradicating folliculitis scars in humans on the regular application.
- Apply virgin coconut oil to the affected region daily to kill the bacteria and to remove the burning sensation due to folliculitis.
8. Turmeric for Folliculitis
One of the most well known and most preferred home remedies used since the ancient Ayurvedic ages and in the traditional Chinese remedy, Curcuma longa or just turmeric is one of the greatest antiseptic and anti-inflammatory agents that the world has to date. Turmeric is highly loaded with an element called curcumin which is great to treat any kind of skin woes and the story is no different for folliculitis as well. To use turmeric to treat folliculitis scars, given below is the best method.
- The best way to cure folliculitis scars is to consume turmeric mixed in a glass full of water and consuming the recipe twice daily to get greater and effective results.
- Alternatively, dissolve turmeric in milk and consume twice a day for relief.
9. Oil of Oregano for Folliculitis
Scientifically referred to as Origanum vulgare, the Oil of oregano is one of the great home remedies to treat the skin woe of folliculitis along with much more. This is mainly due to the fact that the Oil of oregano contains antibacterial properties along with being a natural antiseptic and antifungal agent too which in turn helps treat skin conditions better. The best way to use this to treat folliculitis scars is:
- The Oil of oregano is best used on the skin surface after being mixed with carrier oils such as jojoba, grapeseed or sweet almond oil.
- It is, however, important to note that one should not try applying oil of oregano on the broken or sensitive skin as it can cause irritation to a great extent.
10. Hot water compress for Folliculitis
Hot water has doted as effective in treating the issue of folliculitis scars which involves inflammation and rashes on the skin and helps in relieving the concerns of itching and skin inflammations in the long run. There are various methods to apply hot water to seek relief from the pain of folliculitis and some of them are discussed below:
- One can try using the hot water compress by first taking hot water in a bowl and then adding two spoons of salt into it. The next step is to dip a clean cotton cloth into the bowl and wring it and then apply the same onto the affected region until the heat is still effective. Repeating this at least two or three times a day for a stretch of twenty minutes surely helps.
11. Witch Hazel for Folliculitis
Witch hazels have been known to work great in eradicating the issue of folliculitis scars and have been since time immemorial used as a home remedy to treat the woe with ease. Whilst methods are in-numerous, one of the effective ways it can be used is discussed as below.
- To treat folliculitis you would just need to use a cotton ball to dab onto the witch hazel and apply the same onto the folliculitis affected regions and try to apply as much and as frequently as possible to get the best results.
- The best thing to do is to use pure witch hazel oil whose effects are amazing and fruitful.
12. Cucumber for Folliculitis
Known all over due to its cooling effects, cucumber can be a great remedy to treat the concern of folliculitis in the long run. This is due to the fact that cucumber has the properties which can ease irritation as well as the pain associated with the concern pretty effectively along with helping in breaking the boils too.
- first, grind a full cucumber into a paste and then apply the same onto the affected region well for some time before taking a bath.
Tips to prevent folliculitis scars
- Avoid shave on skin bumps: It is better to avoid bumpy areas of skin on shaving or better try to change the blades every time you shave. This is because the blades are a breeding house for bacteria over a period of time. Electric shavers are a welcome change.
- Avoid oil application on skin: Application of oil on the skin should be avoided as oils tend to trap bacteria on the skin pores and folliculitis occurs as a result.
- See before you plunge into a tub: It is important to check on the cleanliness of a pool or a bathtub before taking a plunge into it.
- Avoid tight clothing: Avoid wearing tight clothes. This will ensure that your skin will not get fractioned with the clothing and reduce chances of folliculitis.
- Warm water use is important: It is rather important to use warm water and mild soap while you are taking a bath always.
- Clean towels: The best way to go is to use clean towels at all times and it’s better to avoid scratching on a bum with folliculitis. Just in case!
- Change bed sheets: It I better to change your bed sheets daily due to the fact that the dirt and the sweat on the sheets can aggregate the skin condition and lead to folliculitis scars in the later days.