Are you suffering from neck pain? Don’t worry you are not alone. From recent years now neck pain problem is more common. Because your neck works a lot it’s moving here there. You are using too much computer and electronic devices. You are not moving your neck after a prolonged period of using gadgets. Your posture, your lifestyle and most important your diet can also cause neck pain. Today we are going to discuss home remedies for neck pain. So before starting home remedies, you need to know what causes neck pain and what are the symptoms.
What causes neck pain
- Mobile phone
A human body is designed to move not to sit on a chair. Even if you say that you don’t use your mobile but you do. If you down your head for a long time for using mobile you start feeling pain on upper neck or shoulder. Did you know your head weighs about 12 pounds? But when your head goes forward for using mobile or other devices that weight increases to 24 pounds. This amount of weight can seriously hurt your neck so badly.
Accident or injury happens in everyone’s life. Sometimes fallen from stairs, car accident or get the injury from sport or exercise can cause neck pain.
Muscle spasm or inflammation got from cervical disk disease is one the common cause of neck pain. There are so many other things can also cause inflammation in the neck area.
Neck strain or whiplash is also one of the important cause of neck pain. It is that suddenly due to some force or accident your head moves forward or backward. It kind of movements can develop neck strain which is also known as whiplash nowadays. There are so many other causes that can give you neck pain or inflammation, strain.
What are the symptoms of neck pain?
When you start feeling severe pain in your neck and you can’t able to move your head it’s the first symptom of the neck strain. Other symptoms rather than this are a headache, difficult to drink or swallow anything, numbness or tingling sensation around your neck area. If your situation is worse then maybe you experience shoulder or lower pain along with neck pain.
home remedies for neck pain
- Neck stretch or exercise
If you are having any neck issue like tingling, numbness, inflammation or pain on your neck area or shoulder area. You may also be noticing difficulty in turning your head you may be thinking why I’m having this nerve irritation. The answer is the majority of the neck pain cases are due to bad posture. Sitting on the desk or long period of time mostly looking done and typing. Here I’m telling you some simple exercises which you can follow to see improvement or to get relieved from neck pain.
Exercise No.1 towel
- This exercise help to correct your nerve pressure which creating pain.
- Take a towel grab on your both hands from the end.
- Put it behind your head, go straight back, don’t bring your head back.
- Go straight back, hold for some seconds and then come forward slowly.
- Do it for a couple of times.
Exercise No.2 neck stretch
- This exercise is just a gentle stretch to help get rid of mild neck pain.
- First, what we have to do, do gentle stretch without using hands.
- Sit relax. Correct your posture, bring your chin down to your chest.
- Hold for about 5 to 10 seconds.
- Then look up towards the ceiling.
- Again hold for 5 seconds.
- Do it for 5 to 10 times twice a day.
Exercise No. 3 45 degrees stretch
- This exercise is great for those who work on computers and they start getting pain on sides of your their neck towards the shoulder.
- Take arm of the same side which is hurting example your right side hurting then take the right arm.
- Put it up on the shoulder, then take your other hand on the back of your head.
- Now you have to pull it in the opposite direction.
- You don’t have to pull it straight down or at the side, pull it towards the opposite knee.
- Gently do it you don’t have to stretch to hard just stretch for a couple of seconds.
- Do it twice a day.
Exercise No.4 side stretch
- In this exercise, you have to again sit or you can stand.
- You have to bring your ear towards the shoulder.
- You should not just your ear to shoulders.
- Your shoulder should stay on position.
- Just gently bring your head to side first right then left one.
- Stretch on each side for 5 to 10 seconds.
- Do it once a day.
2. Good massage
Nowadays you can get a good massage from any salon, massage center or even from your partner as well. If you are facing chronic neck pain then having a message will be beneficial for you. There are seriously some nice benefits of getting a massage. As we know massage increases our blood circulation which is good to get rid of neck pain. It also decreases your stress or if you having muscles soreness or fatigue. So grab your partner or do it your self but at least give your self a nice pamper massage.
How to get a good massage:
- Sit in a comfortable position.
- Take warm olive oil because it has a tendency to go deep into muscles.
- Bring your head a little bit down.
- Now start massaging your neck area.
- Massage that area more where you feel pain.
- Slowly roll your fingers all over your neck.
- If you are comfortable give your shoulder a little bit massage too.
- Do it once a day to see improvement in your neck pain.
how to relieve neck pain from sleeping wrong?
If you are facing neck pain from since a long time you should pay attention to your sleeping position. Sometimes we don’t know that we are sleeping in wrong or inappropriate position that is affecting our neck. If you have a habit to sleep on your stomach then stop doing it right now. Always sleep on your side either right or left or on your back but not on your stomach. You are thinking why right, its because when you sleep on your back you are twisted your neck, unfortunately. This position not only gives you neck pain but also back pain too.
Did you know sleeping on the wrong pillow can also give you sharp neck pain which lasts for several days? Do the little search and get the right pillow for your self which is specially design for neck pain. Find pillows like mediflow water base pillow, feathery or memory foam pillows.
Take some rest
If you work more or longer on the desk that its time to change your habits. Take some rest because working in one position for a long time can affect your neck and back badly. Did you know sitting is more dangerous than drugs it kills more people than HIV? The latest research shows that sitting for long hours can cause cancer, type 2 diabetes, increases stress and heart diseases.
So how to take rest while working, here I’m telling you some tips which can help you. First of all set a timer, every half hour stand to take a break to stretch your self. Just trigger your self to get out from your desk no matter what you do. Every hour just stand up and go to get water because hydration is important. You can also use the standing desk, you can make it at home but if you don’t know then spend money and buy.
The ice pack or heating pad
Like sleeping positions, we are doing mistakes on what should we apply ice or heat on neck pain. if you going to use ice then remember Ice or ice packs can use on injuries like whiplash or fallen from stairs etc. if you are going to use heat then heat pads can use on inflammation, strains or spasms.
On the first two or three days of injuries apply ice after that you can use a heating pad. If you don’t have a heating pad then don’t worry you can heat the area by taking a warm shower or with the warm compress. Always remember not to sleep with a heating pad or ice pack that can further worsen your neck pain or it may give you injury.
Sip some water or juice
You may be thinking that I’m mad but you don’t know that staying fully hydrated can help you to get rid of neck pain. Did you know your discs which are between your spine need a lot of water to perform better or if they have any pressure water can help them? So if you really want to reduce your neck pain then take enough water.
Take almost 10 to 12 glasses of water. I know its impossible then you can alternate it with fresh juices. Fresh juices are not only tasty but they are very healthy for your overall body. They also give you strength in the form of vitamins or minerals to fight with your neck pain. You can also make detox drink water to complete your daily requirement of water need. I will give you detox drink water recipe below I’m adding ginger into it because it increases blood flow and soothes your pain.
Detox drink water recipe:
- Take 4 to 5 glasses of water.
- Add one small sliced cucumber and the sliced lemon.
- Few leaves of mint or any juicy fruit of your choice like strawberries.
- Add two or three slices of ginger.
- Mix them all, let it stay into the water for an hour so that the ingredients fully infuse in the water.
- Chill the water and enjoy.
How can u forget that diet plays a major role in reducing neck pain. There are so many anti-inflammatory foods which you can add to your diet to lower neck pain. These foods not having only anti-inflammatory properties but they are pack with nutrients and minerals.
Try to add a supplement which contains omega 3 fatty acids. If you are not happy with supplement then you can get omega 3 directly from fishes like salmon. If you are vegetarian then try to get omega 3 from green leafy vegetables, walnuts, almonds, flaxseeds and chia seeds.
To getting rid of neck pain you have to make your neck bones healthy for this you have to take more calcium and vitamin d. Rather than this, you have to increase your magnesium intake because magnesium reduces muscle tension and pain. You can get magnesium in supplement form or in vegetables, fruits, soya, beans or in whole grains.
Try to intake more protein whether from meat or from lentils, chickpeas, tofu and many more. Try to eat butter, cheese and instead of white rice eat brown rice because they are more healthy.
In acupuncture tiny little needles not thicker than hairs instead on specific points of your body known as acupuncture points. When you instead acupuncture needles into specific body areas it stimulates the brain to produce endorphins which are a natural painkiller for your body. What acupuncture actually does with your body?. It improves the oxygen, blood flow, and nutrients to improve every weak cell of your body.
Try to consult with a certified acupuncture expert to get some acupuncture sessions to get relieved from neck pain. You know why because acupuncture stimulates the nervous system by starting sensory nerves that go from the skin to the spine, neck and into the brain.
Epsom salt bath
Did you know why bodybuilders take magnesium supplements?. Its because magnesium can soothe tired muscles and reduce body pain. You are thing why I’m telling you all these things its because Epsom salt also has magnesium in it. You don’t have to eat Epsom salt just use it for taking bath to relax your tired muscles.
How to take Epsom salt bath:
- Fill the bathtub with warm to hot water which your body can tolerate.
- Add two or three cups of Epsom salt.
- Mix it very well.
- Now relax and lay down on the bathtub for 20 to 30 minutes.
- After that take your normal shower.