Shingles or Herpes Zoster are painful and irritating rashes, showing up mostly on the body in a cluster of blisters. Shingles is a viral disease activated from the nerve cells and transmits to the skin. A painful burning irritation starts at the affected area 3-4 days before blisters actually begin to show up. Characteristically, the right or left sides of face or body becomes its target areas. The virus shows its ugly face along with the symptoms of viral such as pain, high fever and restlessness, the target being elderly past 50. In reality, it’s the second eruption of chicken pox virus that turns out in its new Avatar of Shingles.
There are several herbs that can prevent, provide relief and heal shingles by eating raw, through concoction or adding to food and applying its extract on the affected areas. Here are some home remedies that should be of immense value to counter shingles.
1. Mint Family herbs
Herbs from the mint family are powerful anti-herpes substances.
How to use Mint to treat shingles?
- Combine a mix of Peppermint, lemon balm, spearmint, hyssop, licorice, rosemary, sage, thyme and oregano for a super-therapeutic tea, making it a super drink to work against shingles and its effects.
- Apply the fridge-cooled tea bag right onto the rash for soothing relief and medicinal value.
2. Lemon Balm
It is a mint family’s perennial herbaceous plant, its essential oil is used in aromatherapy, it is known to carry anti-viral and anti-herpes properties. This can be used topically or internally. This is known to curtail the longer effect of shingles and halts the virus to spread internally.
How to use Lemon Balm to get rid of shingles?
- Drink the lemon balm tea and also apply its cold tea bag on the affected portion. This is fragrant and leafy green herb that has a lemony flavor. It’s a big hit with fish, poultry and vegetable recipes and in salads, stuffing and drinks.
- Its leaves are used to make beverage and tea, which has all the nutrients to counter shingle effects. Fresh leaves are perfect for flavor and preserved nutrients, dried leaves lose its flavors and properties.
- Lemon balm extract should be applied 3-4 times on tormented part of the skin caused by shingles. It also contains substances such as rosmarinic, caffeic and ferulic acid that has strong anti-viral application.
Elderberry is a fruit from elderberry plant an excellent medicinal herb that checks the virus onslaught. A great immune system booster, elderberry is known to be complete health herb. It not only strengthens immune system but it detoxifies the body also.
Use elderberry to treat shingles:
- Elderberry syrup can be taken with ice cream topping, add up in yogurt and also mixed with white wine.
- A healthy and well-known German Black Forest ham is salted and seasoned with spices, elderberries, and juniper berries then covered to mature and yield a characteristic flavor.
4. Holy Basil or Tulsi
a potent anti-viral herb is a great immune system booster. It is known to have multiple benefits, one of which is that it soothes the pain and irritation of shingles. A holy plant for Hindus from the ancient times, considered holy probably because of its immense medicinal values.
How to treat shingles with Holy Basil?
- Take its leaves’ extract and apply on affected area.
- For immediate effect drink tea mixed with its leaves, after boiling water for 2 minutes. It is also known to compliment nervine and helps PHN. Its anti- viral and anti- biotic properties help in rashes and to dry the blisters fast.
It comes in 500 varieties of flowers and grows in vine or bloom in shrubs. Besides being used in many diseases, it is also recommended for controlling inflammation and virus in shingles. A complete herbal package to help ease some pain related to PHN and shingles.
How to use Passion flower to treat shingles
- Added with tea with lemon balm and licorice is a popular choice to prevent shingles or provide relief when someone gets it.
- Consume 7-8 grams of dried passionflower daily to get relief from shingles pain. But pregnant women should not take it.
a perennial legume, Liquorice or Licorice is a root from which sweet liquor is extracted which is used in medicines. It contains plenty of antiviral and immune-boosting blends that reduce the herpes virus into inactivity. Used as food flavor too, it has immense values in medicines relating to overall health.
How to treat shingles with Licorice?
- This is used for tea mixed with lemon balm, apply its residual as a cold pack on the area infected by Shingles.
- Recipe of Licorice Twist- Get butter, sugar, corn syrup, milk, anise oil, salt, and molasses, and boil over high heat up to 265°F. Remove from heat and stir in flour, extract, and coloring then pour into pan. Chill until firm in 30–45 minutes. Then put it on the chopping board and make a rope like a twist and cut them into pieces and Fridge it. It can last for 2 weeks when required take off from the fridge and heat it and eat it.
7. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple Cider Vinegar is another well-known home remedy for shingles. It’s antiviral in nature and will help to relieve the pain and discomfort significantly.
How to treat shingles with apple cider vinegar?
- Mix one cup of apple cider vinegar with water to dilute it in 1:10 ratio. Immerse a washcloth in the solution and use this as a cold compress on the affected area.
- Drink apple cider vinegar orally for faster action. Mix two tbs. of apple cider vinegar with one tsp. of Manuka honey in a warm glass of clear water and drink 20 minutes before a meal three times per day.
- Probably the taste will be a bit awkward, you can take it in capsule or tablet form.
8. Olive leaves extract
these are excellent for boosting general immune function and is known to contain anti-virus properties.
How to treat shingles with olive leaves extract?
- Apply its extract on the affected spot and take its oral variation, it is helpful in shingles and its ugly effects. In fact, experiments on olive leaves extract tried on 3000 pathogens, including herpes zoster virus, it was studied to be found, a terminator for all pathogens, owing to a substance called Oleuropein present in it. Here’re the 3 main benefits of olive leaves extract as a normal cure for shingles.
- Olive leaves extract restricts amino acid creation, essential for viruses to grow and reproduce. It is known to fight and kill shingles or herpes zoster virus.
- Olive Leaves Extract has the ability to hold viral infection under check and do not let it spread, as it inactivates the virus and doesn’t allow it to grow on the cell membrane.
- This extract has been noticed for its anti- herpes virus activities. It enters the infected cell and disables viral reproduction of virus of zoster or shingles.
- For fortifying the immune system olive tea bags are available, drink thrice a day to reap its benefits. It is anti-fungal, antibacterial and anti-inflammatory, an accepted killer of pathogens and it ends the virus’s reproduction process.
9. Oregano Oil
In lab studies, oregano oil has been studied to eliminate the herpes virus and the shingles’ herpes zoster virus. Oregano oil carries potent antiviral, antibacterial and antifungal properties. Carvacrol and thymol, two phytochemicals in oregano oil, are amongst some of the most powerful virus eliminators.
Treat shingles with oregano oil?
- An excellent anti-viral, Oregano oil, can be taken orally as a liquid or in capsule form.
- This can be applied topically to the affected areas, it controls inflammation and pain happening because of shingles.
- Oregano oil can also be used in cooking dishes such as seasoning blends, including Italian Seasoning & dressing of salads, and meats, tomato dishes, and eggs to avail its benefits in daily life.
Precaution- The therapeutic use of oregano oil should be avoided in infants and children, and pregnant or under-treatment women.
10. Tea tree oil
It is a great home remedy for soothing nerve pain caused by shingles and known for its anti-viral properties.
To treat shingles, use an eye- dropper to drop Tea tree oil on the infected part and rub lightly.
11. Aloe Vera
Aloe Vera extracts help with any skin problem, including shingle sores. Studies have found that aloe vera creams and gels are very effective at healing skin lacerations caused by the herpes virus or shingle.
12. Capsaicin cream
Capsaicin is the active ingredient in chili- peppers. It’s an effective topical treatment and home remedy for shingles and will relieve the pain and itchiness considerably.
13. Colloidal oatmeal
Having a warm, colloidal oatmeal bath as a home remedy, is a very helpful option in distressing and comforting for shingles. It greatly helps to relieve the skin irritation and take the itch and pain away. Use disposal towel after you dries yourself.
14. Prevent or control Shingles with Food rich in Lysine
Food in high lysine substance is considered very curative and put up resistance to the herpes zoster growth.
Some of the food high in Lysine and low in Arginine
all kinds of Meats, Fishes, Yoghurt, Milk, Cheese, Eggs, Chocolates, whole wheat, carob, Green beans, the fruits apples, chocolate pears, apricot, Avocados, Pineapples and Asparagus etc. Kidney beans, black beans, navy beans and wax beans are some of the lysine-rich legumes.
15. Avoid the food with high Arginine
Most amino acids belong to two categories, essential and non-essential. Arginine is different while it’s essential for children; arginine is only partially needed for adults. As for shingles patients, arginine is the big NO as it may aggravate the issue further.
Say NO to arginine-rich food – Tomatoes, Wheat germs, Brussels sprout, Grapes, Pumpkin seeds, Pecans, Blackberries, Blueberries, Peanuts, Chocolates and all sugar forms.
16. BEST Foods for Shingles patient
- YOGHURT- a great source of nutrients rich in lysine.
- GARLIC- an antibiotic, It’s a highly medicinal herb. that is one of the best nutritional remedies for the shingles treatment, eat raw, in food or in capsule form.
- KIWI- a nutrient punch, immune system enhancer, and anti-viral properties to counter shingles.
- SPINACH- rich in high nutrients, especially Vitamin-E which is great for immune system.
- BEEF LIVER- Vitamin B complex enriched reduces nerve pain
- Citrus fruit- Vitamin C enriched, helps fight skin infection of shingle
- Soups- a complete nutrient package
17. Relaxation through Meditation
Though it’s a common knowledge, still it’s important to remind about the value of relaxation. Stress and strain challenge the immune system unnecessarily. This weakens the immune system’s response that in turn, allows free entry of pathogens. Then you become prone to diseases. So you must find ways to relax through meditation and yoga that are outstanding and well- tried home remedies for shingles.
Other easy ways to get rid of shingles naturally
Shingles give fever, inflammation, and pain before the blisters, if proper care is not extended, it might expand and torment. Here are some more easy ways that offer relief from shingles.
- Avoid picking and scraping blisters, its liquid can help blisters to spread in the larger area. It will crust and fall on its own, in few days if left untouched and handled with care.
- Apply moist and cool ice pads that will surely work to ease the pain and uneasiness.
- Apply on infected area cornstarch or baking soda to help dry blisters faster. You can put Epsom salt and baking powder in the bathtub and get its full advantage by taking a refreshing and helpful bath.
- Keeping cool and wearing loose-fitting clothes will provide relief and comfort. Especially the clothes that do not touch the affected area directly.
Therefore, opt for these home remedies to treat and get relief from shingles naturally.