Psoriasis is a severe skin disease that requires immediate attention, as it tends to linger for long if left untreated. This disease makes your skin itchy and leaves red and scaly patches anywhere on the body. Psoriasis is a result of immune system disorder which makes skin cells grow faster than they actually should. The cells then start appearing in an unfriendly manner on the skin’s surface. Natural products usually have a lasting effect on this skin condition. Have a look at some of the best home remedies mentioned below to get rid of psoriasis in an easier way.
Turmeric is known to have extremely powerful antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. There is one particular ingredient called as curcumin in turmeric which hosts maximum medicinal properties.
How to use turmeric to treat psoriasis:
Include it in your daily diet. One teaspoon of this herb, when consumed daily, will benefit you in many ways.
- Take a warm glass of milk.
- Put a 1/4th teaspoon of turmeric powder in it.
- Add some sugar if you find the taste too raw to consume.
- Drink this milk at night before going to bed for long-lasting results.
Turmeric Paste- Topical Application
- Take turmeric powder in a bowl (as needed).
- Add some fresh water to the powder to make a thick paste.
- Apply the paste on the affected areas, and let it dry out completely.
- Turmeric tends to leave stains on the clothes. So make sure that you wear something appropriate.
- Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree oil will help reduce the inflammation caused by psoriasis and also curb the visible symptoms of the disease. The appropriate use of this oil will strengthen as well as accelerate the healing process.
How to use tea tree oil to treat psoriasis:
- You can apply tea tree oil directly (without diluting) on areas like arms, knees, fingers, elbows, and nails.
- Soak a cotton ball in the oil and dab it on the affected areas. Let your skin soak the oil.
- If you are not comfortable with leaving the oil overnight, then you may wash it off one hour later.
- Mix equal amounts of tea tree oil and virgin coconut oil for sensitive areas like face, chest, and neck. Apart from being a powerful moisturizer, coconut oil contains lauric acid which has amazing antibacterial and anti-fungal properties. So, when you combine these two oils together, they work best against psoriasis.
If there is even a bit of irritation, you should immediately wash off the area.
- Aloe Vera
Aloe vera is loaded with powerful ingredients that work best against psoriasis. The plant has rich amounts of amino acids, minerals, enzymes, anthraquinones, lignins, vitamins, polysaccharide, sterols, salicylic acid, monosaccharide, and saponins.
How to use aloe vera to treat psoriasis:
Drink the juice
One glass full of fresh aloe vera juice daily will help you treat psoriasis significantly. It will also improve your digestive system by removing the toxins from your body.
- Clean the affected area with warm water and pat dry.
- Apply the gel of home grown aloe vera plant directly on the affected areas 3-5 times daily. This will help you reduce the psoriasis symptoms faster.
- You can leave the aloe vera gel on your skin for hours at length. It does not have any side-effects.
- Fish Oil
The omega-3 fatty acids like eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) and docosahexaenoic acid (DHA) in fish oil play a very important role in treating psoriasis.
How to use Fish Oil to treat psoriasis:
- If you like to eat fish, then choose salmon over other fish as it will offer you right benefits.
- Apply few drops of cod liver oil on psoriasis affected areas 1-2 times daily. Make sure to clean the skin before you apply it.
- Oregon Grape
The Oregon grape is a plant and its roots are used for making medicine. This natural medicine works effectively on stomach ulcers and gastroesophageal reflux disease, digestive problems, various other infections, and also to cleanse the bowels. The Oregon Grape is also applied to the skin for treating psoriasis. It is known to slow down the overproduction of skin cells that trigger this skin disease.You can also use this plant as a disinfectant.The Oregon Grape plant has certain chemicals in it that fight bacterial and fungal infections.
How to use Oregon Grape to treat psoriasis:
- Using Oregon Grape as a topical treatment for psoriasis is safe as well as effective.
- Although, if you extremely sensitive skin you may notice some minor rash or a burning sensation upon application. It also tends to stain the clothes.
- The Oregon Grape creams are easily available in the market.
- Apply the cream on the affected area after you clean it and leave it overnight.
- Dead Sea Salts/ Mud
The Dead Sea Salts are extremely rich in mineral content and that is why they are very effective in treating psoriasis. These salts are rich in magnesium, sodium,bitumen and bromide. All these minerals help in reducing the inflammation caused by psoriasis as well as reduce the itchiness too.
How to use Dead Sea Salts/ Mud to treat psoriasis:
Use Dead Sea Mud as a Topical Treatment.
- This mud is different than the one in your lawn. It improves blood circulation and boosts cell regeneration.
- When you peel off the mud, it will take along all the toxins, dead skin cells, and other impurities that worsen psoriasis.
Use Dead Sea Salts in your baths
- Take one cup of these salts and put in your warm water bathtub.
- Take a nice long bath and do it every day.
- The Dead Sea Salts help in making your skin smooth, they will also remove the plaques, and you will feel relaxed all day long.
Buy scrubs and shampoos with Dead Sea Salts
- You will find many cosmetic products on the shelves of your grocery store that have dead sea salts.
- Try using those products too. But if they cause even a bit of irritation, then you should immediately refrain from using them.
- Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is one of the great natural disinfectants. Using it for treating psoriasis symptoms will give you desired results.It is known to reduce the itchiness caused by psoriasis on the scalp as well as other parts of the body.
Although, there are some precautions that you must take when you are using it-
- You should never apply it on the open wounds.
- Always dilute the vinegar and then apply.
People who are allergic to apple cider vinegar should not use it, or else they may have to face some side-effects like:
- Rashes and hives
- Fast breathing or difficulty in breathing
How to use Apple Cider Vinegar to treat psoriasis:
- Mix equal amounts of apple cider vinegar and water and apply it on psoriasis affected areas.
- Follow this regime 2-3 times a week, and you will notice that the itchiness has reduced to a greater extent.
Use it in your bath
- Add one cup apple cider vinegar to your bath.
- Doing this daily too will help you a lot.
- Mix apple cider vinegar and water in the ratio of 1:3.
- Take a soft washcloth, soak it in this solution, and apply it on the affected area.
- Leave the cloth for a couple of minutes and then remove it.
Oatmeal is the extremely good natural product for soothing irritated skin. When you use it as a topical treatment, it works wonders on your skin. You may find many over-the-counter oatmeal mixes, lotions, and soaps, but what you really need is plain ground oats to create magic!
How to use Oats to treat psoriasis:
- Make your own customized oatmeal
- Grind the oats in a blender until you get the grittier texture.
- Now, mix one tablespoon of your oatmeal in hot water and let it blend well.
- Apply the paste on the affected areas and let it dry naturally.
- Banana Peel
Banana peels are loaded with natural anti-inflammatory antiseptic and cooling properties.These properties help reduce the severity of the psoriasis symptoms.
How to use Banana Peel to treat psoriasis:
- Apply the banana peels on psoriasis affected areas.
- You can repeat this process as many times as you may like.
- Let the peel remain on your skin for 10-20 minutes.
- Always use the fresh peel, but if not possible, then keep a few peels in a seal-tight bag keep it in the refrigerator for a few days.
- Take two bananas and chop them.
- Chop one avocado too.
- Mix them in two spoons of organic honey.
- Pour the mixture into the blender and you may add soya milk for consistency.
- Keep this mixture in the fridge for a few hours.
- Now, apply the cold mixture to the affected skin area.
- The banana peel mixture will help reduce the itchiness, dryness, and inflammation and caused by psoriasis.
- Castor Oil
Castor oil is known to have great anti-inflammatory properties. It also has the ability to upsurge the white blood cells in your skin, which helps in strengthening your body’s defense mechanisms.
How to use Castor Oil to treat psoriasis:
- Soak a cotton ball in the castor oil and dab it on psoriasis affected the area.
- This oil doesn’t absorb immediately in your skin. Therefore, you should apply it when you have enough time to let it absorb completely. Like, before going to bed.
- Mix equal amounts of castor oil, olive oil, and peanut oil.
- Soak a cotton ball in this mixture and apply it on the affected areas.
- This mixture tends to absorb almost immediately into your skin.
Chamomile is the best herbal remedy for treating digestive problems. It helps in removing toxins from the liver and kidneys.This directly helps in treating psoriasis naturally. A clean liver is directly related to good and healthy skin.
How to use Chamomile to treat psoriasis:
- Add 2-3 teaspoons of chamomile flowers to one cup of boiling water.
- Steep for about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Now, strain the tea into a fresh cup, and drink it.
- Drinking about three cups daily of this tea will help your skin relax a lot.
- Don’t go for this option if you are allergic to this natural herb.
- High amounts of chamomile may cause nausea and vomiting.
- Olive Oil
Olive oil is the safest natural remedy for treating irritated and reddened skin. It accelerates the healing process by cleaning and sterilizing your skin. It is also one of the best moisturizing conditioners and helps reduce the swelling and redness caused by skin allergies.
How to use Olive Oil to treat psoriasis:
Olive Oil Massage
- Take a good amount of olive oil and massage until your skin completely absorbs it.
- Do it a couple of times daily to get rid of the dry and flaky skin.
- Massage it before going to bed will be very helpful.
Use it in your bath
- Add a few drops of extra virgin olive oil to a warm bath and enjoy the soothing effects that it offers.
- Doing it daily will help you get rid of psoriasis symptoms gradually.
Use it in your diet
- Oral consumption of extra virgin olive oil will help in reducing inflammation caused by psoriasis and will also promote healthy digestive health.
Some lifestyle changes that can help you get rid of psoriasis:
- Stop smoking-
Tobacco is known to worsen the psoriasis symptoms, so avoiding it completely is the only solution.
- Avoid Alcohol-
It triggers psoriasis and causes long-term damages.
- Take warm baths-
Add a few drops of essential oils to your bath regularly. Warm baths help your skin relax and reduce stress, which is very important for curing psoriasis.
- Keep your skin moisturized at all times
Dryness will make your already irritated skin worse. Use natural moisturizers that are free from chemicals.