Toenail fungus can make you extremely uncomfortable if you do not get rid of it quickly. It is basically an infection that penetrates through your toenail, or even through the visible cuts in your skin. Apart from hurting, the toenail fungus makes your nail thicker and it changes the color too. And if the infection worsens, then your nails start smelling like a rotten fruit too. The fungus can easily grow in your toenail because it is usually warm and moist there. If you don’t treat this on an urgent basis it may lead to various other skin and nail infections that might be hard to get rid of!
1. Coconut Oil
Coconut oil is enriched with skin benefitting properties. Fatty acids like Caprylic in coconut oil are able to penetrate through the fungus to heal it and destroy the infection completely. This oil is also very rich in high saturated fats that help in increasing the levels of healthy cholesterol in your body by converting the bad cholesterol into good.
How to use Coconut Oil to treat Toenail Fungus:
- Topical Application of Coconut Oil
- Soak a cotton ball in the oil and dab it onto the infected area.
- Let your skin soak the oil for about 15-20 minutes before you wipe it off.
- If you are comfortable, let the oil remain for as long as it can stay.
- You can apply coconut oil multiple times in a day as it has no side-effects and in fact, it is very good for the overall health of your skin.
- Before application, make sure that you are not allergic to coconuts.
Must Read: How to Grow Your Nails Fast
2. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple Cider Vinegar or call it ACV, as it is commonly known, is a fermented solution which is prepared from old and crushed apples. In the organic versions of ACV, you will find various beneficial bacteria that offer many health benefits. For example, it is high in phosphorus, magnesium, potassium, calcium and many others. Apart from eradicating toenail fungus, it also helps in keeping your digestive system healthy.
How to use Apple Cider Vinegar to treat Toenail Fungus:
- Topical application of Apple Cider Vinegar
- Take one cup of this vinegar
- One cup of Epsom salts
- Six cups of warm water
- Dip your feet in this mixture twice daily to completely destroy the infection.
- Two tablespoons of organic Apple Cider Vinegar
- Mix it with about two liters of warm water
- Add one teaspoon of honey
- Drink this syrup daily, and the fungus will vanish within no time.
3. Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree oil works as both- antiseptic as well as a fungicidal remedy and therefore, works best against toenail fungus. It also helps in curing severe acne and other skin infections.
How to use Tea Tree Oil to treat Toenail Fungus:
- Clear the affected area with warm water and pat dry.
- Mix equal amounts of tea tree oil with either olive oil or almond oil.
- Apply this diluted mixture directly on the fungus infected nails and skin.
- Let the oil soak in for about 10 minutes.
- Now, gently scrub the affected nail with a toothbrush that has a soft bristle.
- Follow this regime daily, until you notice a new healthy nail growing.
- You may continue doing this as a preventive measure for another couple of months.
4. Corn Meal
No matter how hard it is to believe, but corn meal is definitely one of the most effective home remedies for removing toenail fungus. The natural fungus present in the cornmeal attacks the fungal infection on your skin and nails and destroys it permanently.
How to use Corn Meal to treat Toenail Fungus:
- Take a bucket or a container that is big enough to fit in your foot/feet.
- Take one cup of corn meal.
- Add it to two-quarters of plain water.
- Let the cornmeal soak completely- one hour should be just perfect.
- Now, dip your feet/foot in this solution.
- Let it remain there for 30 minutes.
- You can repeat this procedure daily or every alternate day depending on the need.
- Since cornmeal is completely harmless to your nails and skin, you can opt for this procedure as many times as you may want.
5. Lavender Oil
Lavender oil has rich amounts of anti-fungal properties in it. Therefore, it naturally becomes a remedy to remove your toenail fungus. Apart from disinfecting your skin, nails, and scalp, lavender oil is also used for eliminating nervous tension, improve blood circulation, treat respiratory problems, etc.
How to use Lavender Oil to treat Toenail Fungus:
- Apply a few drops of undiluted lavender oil to the fungus infected nails. Lavender oil is easily available in the market, but make sure that you buy the one with a superior quality.
- You can apply this oil at any hour of the day, but if you do it before your bedtime, then it will prove to be more beneficial.
- Let the oil soak completely into your skin, it is harmless.
- You may wear woolen socks if you do not like the oil rubbing on your bedsheets.
- Never wear synthetic fiber as it may worsen your toenail infection.
- Apply the oil daily even after you have completely gotten rid of the infection as your nails may still have some invisible traces of it.
6. Oregano Oil
Oregano is yet another herb that is rich in anti-fungal properties. It also has anti-viral, anti- bacterial, antiparasitic, anti-inflammatory, anti-oxidant properties in abundance.
How to use Oregano Oil to treat Toenail Fungus:
- Mix a few drops of oregano oil with one teaspoon of carrier oils like olive oil, almond oil or coconut oil.
- Soak a relatively big cotton ball in this mixture and dab it onto the infected nails and skin.
- Repeat this procedure a couple of times daily.
7. Olive Leaf Extract
Olive leaf extract is rich in antibacterial and anti-viral properties. So apart from removing the fungal infection from your toenails, it also helps in curbing the bad cholesterol levels in your body. What more, olive leaf extract also works as a powerful detoxifier, thus removing all the toxins to make your body completely healthy.
How to use Olive Oil Extract to treat Toenail Fungus:
- It is taken as a supplement.
- First start with small amounts of these supplements.
- Increase the quantity only when you are comfortable with the dosage.
8. Orange Oil
Like many other oils discussed previously, the orange oil to is loaded with anti-fungal properties.
How to use Orange Oil to treat Toenail Fungus:
- Daily application of orange oil on your toenail fungus will help you get rid of this infection on an immediate basis.
- You may use a cotton ball or a dropper to apply this oil on the nails and in between the toes where the infection grows severely.
- Give an hours’ time to soak the oil completely in your skin.
- You may or may not wipe it off depending on your comfort levels.
- If your skin is sensitive you may want to dilute the oil with other carrier oils like olive, coconut or almond.
- Mix a few drops of orange oil in one teaspoon of any of the three oils mentioned above and apply it on the affected areas.
9. Neem Oil
Neem is an extremely useful plant and offers innumerable health benefits. Neem oil is one of the best treatments for healing various skin infections like ringworm, athlete’s foot, etc. The two major components namely, genin and nimb idol play a crucial role in killing all sorts of fungal infections from your body.
How to use Neem Oil Extract to treat Toenail Fungus:
- Neem Oil
- Buy a high-quality neem oil for better results.
- Apply a few drops of undiluted neem oil on your toenail fungus directly with a cotton ball.
- Do this 3-4 times daily.
- Get some handful of neem leaves and sundry them.
- Now, crush the leaves to make thin powder of it.
- Mix equal amounts of neem powder and sandalwood powder with rose water to form a thick paste.
- Now, apply the paste on the affected areas and let it dry completely.
- Apart from killing the infection completely, this mask will also offer smoothness to your rough skin.
- You should apply this paste daily until the infection fades away entirely.
Yogurt which contains live culture is very helpful in removing your toenail infection. The yogurt needs to be plain and unsweetened. A bacteria called as the acidophilus bacteria present in the yogurt stops the spread of fungus in the nearby regions and also kills the ones that are already existing.
How to use Yoghurt to treat Toenail Fungus:
- Apply the plain yogurt on the affected area.
- Let it dry completely.
- Wash away the yogurt from your feet with warm water.
- Repeat this procedure 3-4 times a day daily until the infection goes away completely.
11. Mustard Powder
Mustard is loaded with various nutrients and the acids in it help in killing your toenail fungus.
How to use Mustard Powder to treat Toenail Fungus:
- Take about one tablespoon of mustard powder.
- Add it to 2 liters of warm water.
- Let your infected feet soak in thoroughly into this mixture for about 30 minutes.
- You should follow this procedure twice daily- before your bath and before your bedtime.
- Doing this regularly will give you desired results.
12. Clean & Moisturize
The fungus makes your nails look and smells bad. It also toughens the skin around the infected nails. And therefore, it is of extreme importance that you maintain extreme hygiene of that particular area.
How to clean and moisturize the fungus infected area:
- Take a container that allows your feet to soak in completely.
- Fill it with warm water.
- Put some gentle, chemical free body wash into it.
- Let your feet be in it for a while, 5-10 minutes should be fine.
- Scrub the infected area very gently with your fingertips.
- Take your feet out of the container and wipe them off with a fresh towel. Always use fresh towels for the fungus-infected area.
- Use a gentle and chemical free moisturizer for your rough skin.
- Apply the moisturizer every time you clean your feet, and especially before you leave for work or are wearing your socks.
- Cleaning and moisturizing the infected area 3-4 times a day will help in the healing process.
- All said and done, this should not be assumed as a stand-alone remedy for curing your toenail infection. You will need to rely on the remedies mentioned above for faster healing and permanent eradication of the fungus from your skin.
- Make sure that you do not rip off your skin while following any of the processes mentioned above. The skin becomes extremely delicate and sensitive due to the infections, and harsh treatment will make it even worse.
Some lifestyle changes that can help you get rid of Toenail Fungus:
- Include probiotics like yogurt in your diet- A healthy microflora is extremely important for your body. It not only helps you get rid of the fungus but also prevents it from happening in the first place.
- Avoid perspiration as much as you can. Sweat or perspiration leads to many skin infections and toenail fungus is one of the very common ones.
- Avoid walking barefoot in moist and humid areas like gyms, swimming pools, and shower rooms.
- If you are prone to skin infections, avoid wearing socks and shoes for longer periods of time. If you have to, then wear skin-friendly materials.