Hives is a kind of skin allergy wherein it is very difficult to determine the real cause for its occurrence. They can be instigated by insect bites or stings, certain foods, extreme conditions of temperature, certain antibiotics or even sunlight. Hives, also known as urticaria, wheals, welts and nettle rash have a tendency to change in shape and size and normally last for less than twenty-four hours.
Common symptoms include itching, swelling, and burning sensation. In extreme cases, it might also get watery. The good news is that these red, white or skin colored rashes are not contagious. Almost one out of every five experience hives at some juncture in their lifetime. Therefore, the following home remedies can be tried to get rid of the troublesome rash without having to rush to the hospital immediately.
15 Ways to Get Rid of Hives Fast at Home
1. Cool water
Before using this home remedy, you need to be sure that your hives are not caused due to extreme cold. Applying cold helps to shrink the blood vessels which release histamine which causes itching.
How to use Cool water to cure Hives:
- Have a bath with cool water. However, extremely cold water should be avoided.
- Prepare an ice pouch by placing ice cubes in a thick cloth pouch and rub it over the area of the skin which is affected.
- Soak a cotton towel in cool water and squeeze out the extra water from it. Now place it on the itchy skin as long as required.
Oatmeal is considered to be one of the most effective natural ways to treat skin allergies, itchy skin as well as rashes. Using the oatmeal as a remedy goes a long way in providing relief from the discomfort of hives.
How to use Oatmeal to cure Hives:
- Take one or two cups of natural rolled oats
- Grind them using a coffee grinder, food processor or grinder until it turns into fine powder
- Now place this oats powder in warm or cool water such that the water will turn white and thick
- Ensure that the water is not very hot or cold else it might aggravate the itchy sensation
- Soak for as long as you want. Deciding the frequency of the oatmeal bath is a matter of choice
- You may add three to four cups of milk to the water for a better effect
- Fine ground oatmeal renders the water slippery so be cautious
Pineapple contains an enzyme called Bromelain which is very helpful in reducing the swelling caused by urticarial. Hence, it is quite effective in the treatment of this problem.
How to use Pineapple to cure Hives:
- Place some pieces of crushed pineapple directly on the area of the body affected by hives.
- It provides immediate relief from itching and swelling
- The enzyme Bromelain is also available in the form of supplements which can be administered to get relief from the itchy allergy
- Few slices or pieces of pineapple to be crushed
- Place them in a thin cotton towel and tie the corners with the help of a rubber band
- Apply on the affected area
- When not in use, store it in a closed container in the refrigerator
4. Baking Soda
Surprised? Yes, baking soda is effective in treating the itchiness caused by hives. Therefore, you can apply it and see the effects for yourself.
How to use Baking Soda to cure Hives:
- Make a paste using one tablespoon of baking soda and the necessary amount of water
- Apply one or two drops first on the itchy area and then pour more of it
- Rub it smoothly on the area and spread it using your finger
- Wash off with cool water
- Use as many times as desired
Vinegar is a well-known healing agent known for its property to soothe itching and provide relief from irritation.
How to use Vinegar to cure Hives:
- Mix one tablespoon of vinegar with one tablespoon of water and stir well
- Use a cotton ball to dab the mixture on the affected area
- It will relieve the itching
- Another way is to boil one-fourth cup brown sugar and a tablespoon of fresh ginger with around three fourth cup of vinegar. This mixture is to be mixed with some warm water and applied several times during the day to soothe the rashes and itching.
Nettle is a natural herb known for its content of antihistamine which is why they have been used as a traditional means of treating hives.
How to use Nettles to cure Hives:
- Steam the plant
- Consume it directly for smoothening hives naturally
- You can also make nettles tea and have it as a beverage
- Boil one tablespoon of dried nettle leaves in one cup of water
- Sieve the leaves and allow the mixture to cool
- Now dab a thin cotton towel or cotton ball in the mixture and apply on the hives
- Nettle can also be consumed in supplement form which is also effective in relieving the irritation that hives cause
7. Calamine Lotion
The Calamine lotion which is basically alkaline and is composed of zinc oxide and zinc carbonate helps to shrink the blood vessels which in turn controls the amount of histamine released from them.
How to use calamine lotion to treat hives:
- The calamine lotion can be applied to hives as many times as you want to during the day
- Each time you want to apply a fresh, clean off the affected area with cool water
- As an alternative, milk of magnesia can also be used to treat hives since it is also alkaline in nature, hence provide relief from the itching.
8. Fish Oil
Fish oil contains some fatty acids which act as an anti – inflammatory agent and curbs the burning sensation and itching caused by hives.
How to use fish oil to treat hives:
- Fishes which are cold-water fishes are a great source of essential fatty acids.
- Bluefish, tuna, and the salmon are examples of cold water fishes which can be consumed if suffering from hives
- Fish oil can also be consumed in the form of supplement. Supplement capsules of thousand milligrams three times in a day prove to be effective in minimizing the effects of hives.
Chamomile is a natural herb which has a sedative effect on the body hence inducing relaxation or sleep. Therefore, hives caused by stress can be largely cured by chamomile.
How to use chamomile to cure hives:
- Chamomile can be consumed in the form of tea wherein you need to boil one tablespoon of the herb in a cup of water.
- Then strain out the leaves and consume the remaining beverage
- If you want you can add a pinch of sugar in case you do not like the taste
- This helps to provide relieve from stress and as a result, also cures hives which occur due to stress
Menthol has a soothing effect and has proved to be quite effective for itchiness, rashes as well as throat problems. Try menthol which is quite often readily available in the household for relieving the irritation of hives.
How to use menthol to cure hives:
- Menthol can be applied in the form of cream over the affected area
- Owing to its anti-histamine property, it is used to cure people suffering from itchiness, rashes, and hives.
- Taking a bath with menthol soap also soothes the irritation of hives
11. Aloe Vera
Aloe Vera is well-known for its healing property and provides relief in cases of burns, itching, and rashes.
How to use Aloe Vera to cure hives:
- Aloe Vera has anti-inflammatory properties
- It forms a protective coating over the skin
- It can be applied in the form of aloe gel available in the market or directly the natural gel found inside the leaves of the aloe plant.
- Aloe juice is also beneficial to purify the system and free the body as well as skin from rashes, itching etc.
12. Green Tea
Green tea is herbal so does not have any side effects. Also, it is a strong anti-histamine so provides relief from hives as well as other inflammatory infections or allergies. Not just this, it has a high content of anti-oxidants which protect the tissues from any kind of damage hence strengthening the immunity system.
How to use green tea to treat hives
- Green Tea can be consumed as a beverage
- Boil one tablespoon of green tea leaves in around one cup of water.
- Strain out the herbal leaves and consume the tea
- You may add sugar if you are unable to have it in raw form
Ginger rapidly alleviates inflammation, itching, and allergies. That is the reason why Indian cuisines make us of it in almost every preparation.
How to use ginger to treat hives
- You can chew a little chunk of raw ginger
- The extracts of raw ginger have healing properties
- Ginger can be consumed as a herbal beverage
- Boil some chunks of ginger and tea leaves in a cup of water
- Strain the solids and have the tea
Onions have a tremendous power to absorb infections. Regular consumption of onions also enhances the immunity of the body.
How to use onions to treat hives:
- Cut various slices of an onion and place it on the part of the body affected by hives
- Now cover it with a bandage and tie it in a loose manner
- This arrangement should be kept for around fifteen minutes
- It helps to ease away the discomfort caused by hives
15. Oregon Grape
The Oregon grape is a herb which soothes swelling and itching. Therefore, it provides relief in conditions of hives, boils, sore skin and eruptions.
How to use Oregon grape to treat hives:
- The root of the Oregon grape can be dried and consumed directly as a natural her
- The root can also be boiled in water and strained out
- The infusion can be consumed two to three times daily to provide relief
- The dried root can also be powdered and administered along with water
- The Oregon grape also improves digestion and makes the liver stronger
How to manage Hives
Now that the home remedies to treat hives have been shared, you also need to know how to manage hives.
Try to find out the cause & avoid it – Any kind of problem can be solved if the cause is known. Therefore, you need to identify what triggers hives in your case. Once you know what the cause is, you should avoid it to stay away from the allergy.
Consult a doctor – In case you are not able to find out the cause yourself or hives affects you in a serious way affecting breathing or eating, you should see a doctor so that he can help you identify the trigger.
Prevent foods which trigger hives – Any food which sets in hives should be avoided. Peanuts, nuts, eggs and shellfish are high in histamine content which may be the cause for causing the allergy.
Do not rub or scratch – If you rub or scratch the affected area, it might make the infection worse and severe.
Wear loose clothes – Tight clothes can aggravate the condition of hives. Therefore, wear loose clothes, it will provide relief from the ill effects of the allergy.
Avoid extreme temperatures – If temperature variations cause hives in your case, avoid being at very hot or very cold places. This will worsen the rashes and irritation. Wear protective clothing while going out in such temperatures and apply sun block when you are out in the sun.
Alternative Medication – In case you suspect that a particular medicine you are taking is causing hives, see your doctor right away and ask him to prescribe an alternative to the medication.
With the above precautions, home remedies, and treatments, you can treat hives in an effective manner!