I seldom cook. Seriously. I hardly cooked at my mum’s house, and now that I am married, I still don’t cook. That is probably due to the fact that I live with my mother in law and she loves cooking; so much so, that she lets me off the hook. And I have rarely seen her out of the kitchen; she’s always cooking and trying something new for the family. So the other day, when my mother in law asked me remedies for pigmentation and dark spots, I wasn’t surprised. Yes, her passion for cooking was the cause for the easily visible pigmentation on her face.
I know, not many people knew this detail of heat being capable of such tragedy.
In fact, people are not fully aware of the daily ‘innocent looking’ causes of pigmentation in order to avoid it. Like in my mother in law’s case, it was the excessive heat that caused the pigmentation. Besides thermal radiation (heat), there is exposure to sun (UV radiation), old injury, constant friction with tight garments, resting the laptop on your thighs when in use (over a long time), hormonal imbalance, stress and certain drugs that can cause dark spots or pigmentation.
This unsightly pigmentation can mar our self-esteem and shatter our confidence, so the sooner that it is treated and corrected, the better. But treatments at the salon are temporary as well as over-priced whereas treatments at the dermatologist’ are pricey AND invasive! Here is where natural remedies come in; inexpensive and available at all times and if done regularly, can help fade away the dark spots over some time:
- Rub a slice of freshly cut red onion on the affected area. Applying the juice of a grated red onion will also do the same job
- Mix 1 tablespoon cucumber juice with a tablespoon each of honey and lemon juice, and apply it on face. Rinse after 10 minutes
- Rub a slice of raw potato over the entire face multiple times in a day
- Mix honey and lemon and apply as a mask. Rinse off after 15 minutes
- Add 1 tablespoon turmeric powder to enough lemon juice to make a paste. Apply to affected areas and wash off after 16 minutes, with cool water
- Mash guava and banana together and apply to affected areas. Rinse off after 20 minutes
- Apply either plain aloe vera or aloe vera plus a capsule of vitamin E on the whole face for half an hour before going to bed. Can either rinse it off or if you don’t get uncomfortable sleeping with something on your face, then sleep with it.
Choose any of the above-mentioned home remedies and do it daily for at least a month, you will definitely see positive changes. But beware, do not step into the sun for at least half an hour after applying lemon to the face as that can instead of clearing up that pigmentation, cause further worsening of it. Also start using a sunscreen to avoid the most common cause of pigmentation – sun exposure. And splash cool water on the face every 15-20 minutes, while working near the stove.
A little patience and dedication will certainly do its job!
Related Useful Posts: