I have been really interested in plants and their benefits for human. Being a botany student I have always been intrigued by their remedial, medicinal and miraculous uses. Aloe Vera is one of such plants. This cultivated plant has been used by Egyptians 6000 years ago as herbal medicine as saponin in it acts as an antimicrobial agent. it was also known as the “plant of immortality “and was also presented as a burial gift to deceased pharaoh. It is now being used for cosmetics, asthma, epilepsy, burns and sunburn treatment and also in making medicine. It is said to be effective in lowering blood lipid level along glucose helping diabetics and hyperlipidemia patients. It is a natural food flavouring agent (approved by FDA) and its gel is included many skin products. Here are some of the uses of aloe Vera which I learned in my botany classes and with a little poking here and there.
- Aloe leaves contain a clear gel which is often used as a topical ointment. The green part of the leaf that surrounds the gel can be used to produce latex that can be orally taken. The gel has been reportedly used by Cleopatra for her beauty regimen.
- Aloe produces 6 natural antiseptics which kill mould, bacteria, fungi and viruses. Researchers and scientists believe that it can be used to cure AIDS and cancer.
- Aloe Vera can be used as a body scrub. Slice aloe leaves length wise and pamper yourself by using the inner sides as a biodegradable body scrub during the shower.
- It treats burns. Minor mishaps like grease splatters or hot utensils burn can all be treated by it. Moreover major mishaps like scalds can also be treated with aloe Vera gel along vitamin e.
- It reduces tissue damage from frostbite along taking the sting out of insect bite. It contains properties similar to menthol soothing and healing sunburns etc.
- Feet massage with aloe make them baby soft. Make a foot mask mixing 4 tbsp. aloe gel with 1 cup oatmeal, half cup corn meal and unscented lotion and apply on your feet. They will become baby soft. Moreover it also treats athlete foot.
- It also helps heal herpes and rashes.
- Swab aloe over blisters for quick relief. It also acts as an antidote to allergic skin reaction.
- It can be used as a moisturizer instead of creams and lotions and also can be used to prevent pesky pimples and acne. it also soothes psoriasis and prevents scars and stretch marks. It is very good for skin.
- Aloe can reverse aging signs and wrinkles. Plus it can treat moles and warts keeping your skin neat and clean. It can also decrease pigmentation and give you a brighter skin by reducing dark spots. Make skin new with aloe, brown sugar and lemon juice scrub.
- Aloe is an amazing treatment for your hair. Aloe speeds up your hair growth. Massage your scalp with aloe; let it sink for 30 minutes and rinse. Get rid of dandruff-mix aloe with coconut oil and wheat germ oil. Massage and rinse. For silkier and smoother hair use instead of conditioner.
Not only skin and hair aloe is also beneficial for your stomach and other internal problems. It can soothe your vaginal irritations, treating indigestions and other bowel related problems. Moreover it’s a natural cure for arthritis, heartburn and sugar control. Aloe is not just any casual substance you pass by but it is a mystical and curator substance used for over 1000’s of years for treatments and beauty. Hope you guys will find this article blissful. If you have found more benefits of aloe do care to share your view here.
Photo Credit: flickr